– Noticed a block of stone that looks like it was from an old building, but there are no buildings around here.
– We know where we are in the world because there is a map or a globe that we can give ourselves a sense of reference to.
– But what about time? It doesn’t have the same sense of reference.
– There is something nostalgic about the fall weather, despite being grey and wet
– With the locality of time, we sort of have a reference, like a date and time.- All of our time is references to times, like to the birth of Jesus?
– But they are mostly random; without real reference, we can only guess.
– Time is based on stories, and your location kind of is too, but there is more solidity to the location, vs time.
– There are conspiracies about time like history is false or made up.
– We have no reason to really know that history is true.
– Official sources are always at least somewhat propaganda
– Any letter or picture doesn’t need to be true, it could be fiction
– Things in the past, we may take for granted now because of the stories, but they might not be true or real, they are just what we believe now.
– Things could be different then they were then, vs what they are now
– Is the bible true? What about any other stories from the past? Are they just as valid?
– The past is unknown, the future is unknown, so all we have is now.
– Thinking about the past, it starts to slip away, then we only remember the big events
– How do we even know that the past happened? But maybe we don’t need to think about the past because we are so busy now.
– We can recreate memories as we need them.
– We have the here and now.- Step into the same river twice?
– Step into the place that was once before? The past can not be, all that we have is a memory, so what we remember is just a different now.
– You will always ‘be here now.’
– But what is the past? But really, we can’t know, we have a sense of reference to other things.
– I’ve generally not been interested in the past or history.
– The evolution of stories is interesting, but ‘real’ history is something else.
– Maybe all this doubt is some kind of story to justify a disinterest in history.
– Ideas are influenced by the past, whereas facts of the past are stories.
– Who, what, where, when facts, but the story to link them is fiction.
– There is lots of gain from stories.
– How do you make a good choice? 50% of the time, you are wrong, so every choice is just a 50-50 chance of being right.
– Save more conversation about the past for later.